Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Awesome Opportunities!


So the semester has started and we are back into the daily grind. Daniel has a full schedule of math (yuck...) and economics. I am taking a couple of classes, one to finish my degree. So far things are going ok. There hasn't been any major accidents and we are all intact. So, we are doing pretty good.


I have a really cool class that I just have to tell about. The final capstone class of the editing major is Editing for Publication. In this class we become real interns for BYU Studies, a real publication of Brigham Young University. Our class is rather small so we work as an editing team. We are in charge of a book that is going to be published. Each member of the team is in charge of an article that was written and presented at an earlier conference about belief and meaning in religious art (right up my alley!). The cool thing is that we act as real editors, not just practicing editors, but real ones. We have to get in contact with the author, write official letters, do detailed source checking, and make decisions on the overall design of the book's layout! I even had to sign a confidentiality contract promising not to share anything of what I am editing (sorry guys). But on top of it all we get our name in the masthead of the book and we get a free copy of it! I'm thinking that this is going to be great to show to future employers.....

3 comments:

Shaillé said...

Cute comic! Hint though: you may not want to use those marks in the BYU Studies publication you get to do... :) What an exciting opportunity for you!

W. Flint said...

Oh the Dowlers! I had to check out Casey's Blog and I saw a link to yours! I hope that everything is going well in Provo. Your little lady is absolutely darling!

Nancy said...

I really do like the comic...

We need to get together again sometime this semester! I hope things are running smoothly for you and that you aren't too busy with everything!