Monday, May 18, 2009

Innocence

The other evening, while I was changing Vivi's diaper, she turned her head toward me and smiled. This wasn't her first smile (she's been smiling for awhile now), but I was particularly caught off guard by its frank innocence. As I finished putting on her diaper she kept gazing into my face and smiling. I couldn't help but think of how babies come into this world full of trust. They have to...they have no choice but to put their full trust into those whose job it is to care for them. How horrible it would be to abuse that trust. As I picked her up I started to think about the children in the world who aren't taken care of; the ones who are abandoned and neglected, abused and exploited. I think that crushing a child's innocence is probably the worst crime human beings can commit. 
I hope that I can continue to love and care for my babies. They (and all the children in this world) deserve at least that. 

No comments: