Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Spring Routine

After having two kids my body is......well, not in its best shape. Actually, it's done horrors to itself and since the weather has been getting nicer and the inevitable trip to the pool is coming soon I decided to get my butt back into shape. What was formerly called just the Orem Recreational Center (now the Orem Fitness Center) has a great schedule of aerobic classes that they offer all year. I LOVE aerobic classes. Sounds cheesy, probably is cheesy, I know. But I am not really good at keeping myself motivated enough to get a good enough workout on my own on a treadmill or elliptical machine. I do much better when I am in a room full of people and an instructor watching and pushing me. The same goes with taking independent study classes versus regular classes in college. When no one is watching, I am a quitter....sad, but true. Anyway, I am on my second week of classes and still going strong! What do they say about habit forming/breaking? If you can do it or not do it for two weeks than it becomes a habit...? On Mondays and Wednesdays I do step aerobics and pilates, on Tuesdays and Thursdays I do kickboxing and yoga, and on Saturdays I do yoga and an awesome latin dancing class called Zumba. I get Fridays off. Exercising has been really great. Not only do I get all the physical benefits of regular exercise but I also get some time for myself. I love spending the day with Vivi and Maya but I need some "me" time too. Well, maybe since I through this little bit of knowledge out into the blog-o-sphere it will be extra incentive to keep it up...I mean you guys are probably going to ask me about it sometime and I would like to say that I am still going strong and a little closer to my health and weight loss goals. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about being out of shape, and I don't even have the (excellent) excuse of having had two kids. But my mission really took a toll on my waistline. I'm supposed to be going to the gym everyday but not doing so good at it. I'll make you a deal: I'll ask you how you're doing if you ask me! ;)

marquita chiquita said...

AnnMarie! Hahaha, ok, Deal!

Amber said...

Good for you Marquita!!! That is great that you are going to the rec center!! Some girls in my ward and I are going to try out the spinning class they offer. I am excited, apprehensive, and now I am accountable. Keep up the good work.

marquita chiquita said...

Amber, you know, the spinning class is taught by my pilates instructor....expect a workout!!! She is great and she's also a triathalon athlete too. Tell me how it is.

Ashley Breton said...

I have heard of Zumba but don't know too much about it. I have always wanted to try it. Maybe some day when I get more than 2 hours to myself at a time to relax I will give it a try:)