Monday, April 9, 2007

Honey

You know you do it.

Those wishy-washy words have and do escape your mouth more than you would like to think.

Daniel and I do it.

Pet names.

Yes, we do have pet names. I never thought that those types of words, in that type of voice would actually escape my lips so smoothly. I don't know how many times I have rolled my eyes when I have seen couples uttering those controversial utterances in public. The worst is when they do it in "that" voice.

Daniel and I have done what most couples probably do (I think) and "experiment" with different names to call each other. I mean, you have to feel good about the name you choose, and most importantly your significant other needs to feel good about it too before you sentence... I mean, before you bestow that name upon them for the rest of your lives. We did this sort of switch up where we would use a certain name for awhile. Then, it would change. I honestly think we have come upon our preferred, and maybe permanent alias. I am sure you are wondering what it is.

Honey. Yes, it is Honey. I do throw in a "sweetie" now and then, just to shake things up a bit. Honey. Sounds pretty nice and it rolls off so easily. "Honey, can you get me a diaper?" or "Honey, thanks for doing the dishes" sounds pretty good. Interestingly enough my parents have the same pet name for each other. So when we see my parents there is a lot of "honeying" going on.

See, I can handle becoming one of "those" couples and using "honey" even in public. I can take not hearing my own name for long periods of time (it sometimes sounds weird when Daniel actually uses my name). But, I think it is totally weird when my own daughter calls me that. Yes, Maya has caught on, and now refers to both her parents as "honey." "Honey, sit down!" "Honey, Nemo on!" When Maya wants something she calls us honey. There is still potential in getting her out of this habit before it actually becomes something somewhat serious. At least she hasn't completely abandoned the more traditional "daddy" and "oh-mah" (korean for mom).

I have to admit it makes me laugh when I hear her calling Daniel from her room "Honey! honey!" then she comes running out, grabs his hands and pulls him to her room.

I wonder if I sound like that.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Marquita! That's too funny! I suppose I should probably stop calling Andrew, "Pooh-pooh" before our little one comes along...we don't need her picking that up.

I call him honey a lot, too, but also "Honey-poohkins," "Honey-pooh," or just, "Pooh-Pooh" for short. How lame is that? We use a lot of nick names, actually...more than just honey-pooh variations.

marquita chiquita said...

Yeah, "pooh-pooh" can get confusing when she is trying to potty train. Haa ha, love the names.

Anonymous said...

Our niece Faith calls her dad 'daddy', but she almost never says 'mommy' because her dad has so many names for her. When she first learned to talk (she's now 2 1/2) she only called her mom 'honey', until she was given a stuffed animal (a cow actually) and was told his name was Honey. She now calls her mom 'mom' some of the time, but when she really wants something she falls back onto 'Shell-bell' (her name is Shelley) or something funny like that. Joe and I almost always call each other 'mom' and 'dad' so Karen learns what to call us.

Shaillé said...

That's funny - I love it. :)

We call each other Mommy and Daddy a lot of the time - well I guess whenever Matthew is around which is a lot of the time. :)

I do remember I went through a phase when I called Casey "Charlie" - I have no idea where it came from. Don't worry, I never knew a Charlie or liked a guy named Charlie or something... :) But yeah, at least that phase is past.

And then of course there are our mafia names for each other - Casey's Vincente and I'm Maria...I won't get into the story of how those came about... ;)

Nancy said...

Oh, but Shaillé! Now you have to go into the story!

Nancy said...

Hey Marquita--new camera means new pictures. Get with the program!

Andrew told me the good news. You'll have to write a post about your plans! I'm way jealous!