Saturday, April 7, 2007

Holy Saturday


Hey, as our series on Easter and Holy Week continue, today we celebrate Holy Saturday. This is the day where we remember Christ being entombed. Many Christians wait in anticipation for the resurrection of Jesus. This site I was looking at called the Women for Faith says, "It is a day of suspense between two worlds, that of darkness, sin and death, and that of the Resurrection and the restoration of the Light of the World. For this reason no divine services are held until the Easter Vigil at night. This day between Good Friday and Easter Day makes present to us the end of one world and the complete newness of the era of salvation inaugurated by the Resurrection of Christ." I think that this sums up Holy Saturday pretty good. The Easter Vigil is a time for rejoicing.

In my last post I talked about traditions. Do you ever wonder why people always buy new clothes for Easter. Every Easter growing up I got a new dress to wear on Easter Sunday. I do the same for Maya. Just last week I went and bought her a new dress to specifically wear for Easter Sunday. Come to find out, this tradition of buying new clothes for Easter has some deep Christian roots. In the Catholic Church catechumens (again, I would link this if I could) or those who are to be baptized, are baptized on the Easter Vigil, which is Holy Saturday. Today, potential converts to the church spend the whole year learning the doctrines and customs of the church through the RCIA program and then they are baptized on the Easter Vigil . A long time ago, this was also the case. But the catechumens were given a new set of white clothing to be baptized in. This all symbolizes the convert's dyeing wih Christ and being brought up in a new life with Christ. This is where the clothes tradition comes from....and we thought that it was the stores fault that we always buy new clothes for Easter.

Last night, our family had fun dying eggs and baking bread for Easter. I took some pics of my bread making for you guys to see. Again, I hope that you have a wonderful and beautiful Easter!

God Bless!
The dough in two ropes:

The dough twisted:

In a wreath shape:

With the traditional Greek red eggs(still raw):

All finished:

Some of the eggs we colored (Maya had a blast coloring eggs and smashing a couple:

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Cute eggs! It looks like you had fun preparing for Easter!

I'll have to send you a recipe that's a fun little tradition to do with children...it might be too late for this year, but maybe next!