Monday, April 2, 2007

Some thoughts for Easter-- Palm Sunday


Hey guys! It has been a really long time since I last posted. I think almost 40 days. First of all, our computer (well, the one we are borrowing from my sister-in-law) had its hard drive fail. We finally got that fixed, and then school has been crazy scary!
There are so many things that we have to catch up on but I wanted to post first, and formost, on how special this week really is. I came across this quote by John Duncan (he is either, a congressman, a politician for British Columbia, a Harvard math teacher, or an art guy-- all according to Google search) "Never in the Universe of God did there take place such things as took place that week on earth." This week Christians all over the world are celebrating in anticipation for the Glorious Resurrection of Jesus Christ. This is what Chrisitianity is all about-- Christ rose from the tomb fulfilling all that He came here for. His teachings, His sacrifice in the garden and His death on the cross were all real and important, especially since Christ defeated death and rose the third day on Easter. I can't express how truly amazing this is. Christ lives and He lives for us!

In lieu of this great season (of course General Conference was watched) I attended Mass in American Fork at the St. Peter's Church on Sunday. Catholics and others, celebrated Palm Sunday yesterday. There is a really neat tradition that they have where all the parish gathers outside of the church. We met underneath a small pavilion that the church owns. There we are given palm leaves and missal books to be able to follow the Passion of Christ, which is done during Mass. The Father begins Mass outside. He does a special blessing on the palm leaves and us and then we follow in a big procession singing praises as we enter into the church. For the Gospel readings during Mass, the Passion of Christ (the time of Christ's entry into Jerusalem until his death on Calgary) is read. In this parish the part of Christ was read by the Father, the narrator was read by the Deacon, the other parts such as Peter, Pilate, etc. were read by a lecturer, and the crowd parts were read by the congregation. It was so neat to be able to focus on this very important story. Mass continued as normal.

Holy week extends from Palm Sunday until Easter. In between, Mass is held on Thursday (to commemorate the Last Supper), Good Friday (to commemorate His death), on Saturday (there is a vigil), and then on Sunday to celebrate His Resurrection. I really hope that I can attend some of these masses. I encourage you guys, wherever you may be, to find a Catholic church (orthodox, Anglican...) and find out when these Masses will be and attend one. It is quite an experience and it will help you focus on the importance of this week.

You know I have felt so very blessed especially now during this season. My birthday happens to fall in Holy Week (it is today!) which hardly happens. I don't know what it is, but I feel the need to pay extra attention and care. How great it is to celebrate and commemorate God's greatest gift to mankind and the greatest miracle ever!

Well, I hope I haven't bore you, I just wanted to share some thoughts and remind you guys of this special time. I hope you are all doing well!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday, Marquita!

One year older and wiser, too, I'm sure!

Shaillé said...

Happy, happy birthday Marquita dear, happy days will come to you all year. If I had a wish then it would be,a happy, happy birthday to you from me(and Casey and Matthew)! (I guess I should clarify that that is a primary song.) Hope you had a great birthday today!! :)