Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Things about me you probably didn't know

Ok, this is really weird!!! I posted this a long time ago, but I could never figure out why I couldn't see it on my blog...yet a few people commented on it.... I guess blogger was having problems and it was posted in May according to blogger...so I am posting it again.

This is actually supposed to be 101+1 things about me but I couldn't think of that many things! So, I put down as many as I can think of.


The idea for this post I stole from my friend AnnMarie, who in turn stole it from someone else. She had a lot of interesting things that I had no idea about her and I thought it would be fun to think about me for awhile and try to surprise you all. I might cheat and add some stuff about our family too. Here goes:


1. * I've never had a cavity in my life. Not even a hint of one. I chalk it up to good teeth genes.


2. I used to be a book snob. For some reason I thought that I should just read the classics or the best of world literature instead of popular literature. In fact, I held off reading Harry Potter for a couple of years because of it. Now I know better.


3. Because of #2 I now routinely check the NY Times bestseller's list to see what contemporary novels are out and popular.


4. I absolutely love the color red. I also think that I look pretty good in that color.


5. I have this pair of ralph lauren plaid shorts from my senior year of high school. I love those shorts. I keep them in hopes that one day I will fit in them again. I don't know how many times I have packed and unpacked those shorts. I go through this little sad routine of holding them longingly, sighing, and replacing them back in their place. Sad, I know.


6. Daniel and I settle small arguments by consulting wikipedia or the internet in general. Stuff like where tomatoes really come from, if the phrase is "splittin' image" or "spittin' image," or what the religious makeup of the island of Samoa is (all real topics we've disagreed on). And FYI tomatoes originally come from South America, specifically Peru, the phrase is "spittin' image," and Roughly 98% of Samoans are Christians, divided among many different churches, including: Congregationalist 35.5%, Roman Catholic 19.6%, Methodist 15%, Latter-day Saints 12.7%, Samoan Assemblies of God 10.6%, Seventh-day Adventist 3.5%, Worship Centre 1.3%, unspecified 0.8% (2001 census) (taken from wikipedia).


7. When I was little I honestly thought I was half mentally retarded. I think it must have been that I saw in the mirror this round face with almond-shaped eyes and at that time I had no sense of different ethnicities and that I was half Asian.



8. I Have to read something while in the bathroom. A lot of times I forget to take in some literature and I end up reading whatever is in the medicine cabinet. I think I must have read the back of my deodorant stick at least 10 times.


9. I love to dance and perform in front of people but I hate talking in front of people


10. I love to cook and try out new recipes. I also love to cook for other people. There is something gratifying about preparing a meal for others and having them like it.


11. With that said, I didn't know how to cook (or even take care of myself, for that matter) until after I got married. For the first little while, Daniel did a lot of cooking. I just never did any of that kind of stuff growing up, my mom did it all.


12. I hit the snooze button over and over and over again, it's my husband's biggest pet peeve. It's because the night before I have these grand hopes of getting up early but when the morning rolls around, I am just too tired to wake up with the first ring.

13. As weird as it may sound, I like to smell the insides of books. Not the cheap trade paperbacks though, they always just smell like cheap paper. The older the book, the better they smell. *sniff* .....oh yeah....


14. When it comes to stubble and beards there is a fine line between ruggedly handsome and just plain unkempt. If done right, beards are very sexy.

15. I hate when people make overarching stereotypes of others because of a few bad apples. When I grew up in Utah, I was Catholic (which if you didn't know, is a minority in happy valley) and I used to hear a lot of them when people learned I was Catholic.


16. I've always wanted to write a book and add my ideas and thoughts to the endless sea of the printed page.


17. One of the things I love about Christmas is the smell of wrapping paper and tape. My job growing up was to wrap all the presents for friends and family.


18. I LOVE the smell of coffee its a very nostalgic smell for me. I also secretly love Haagan daz coffee ice cream.


19. I hate when people unfairly judge other people. Big pet peeve #1


20. I hate when people say a food is bad without trying it. Big pet peeve #2. Drives me nuts.


21. I gave birth to my second daughter naturally and am now an advocate of natural birth. I think it's great that there are pain meds to help when things get really difficult and to each her own. I just noticed a significant difference in the way I felt between having baby #1 and baby#2.


22.If I could do my undergrad over again I would pick a different major. This is kind of sad to say. I enjoyed doing linguistics but now that I think over my education, I feel like I didn't make the best choices.


23. I think the kitchen is the most important feature to consider when buying or renting a home. In fact I hope that one day we can build our own home and then I will be able to design the kitchen the way I want.


24. I love baby toes.



25. I really like to play word and logic games.


26. I was a vegetarian for 5 years. I can't remember why I started to be a vegetarian. I think it all stemmed from not wanting clogged arteries and also eating a bad pork steak once. But I stayed fast and true to my the vegetarian lifestyle for all those years. And, I have to admit, I was the most healthiest I had ever been in my life.


27. When Daniel and I got the National Geographic magazine there was always a fight to get to it first. We've done everything from racing to it to hiding it from the other person until we could read it.


28. I am a very very jealous person. Something I am not really proud of.


29. I think it's weird when Daniel says my name. He's called me by pet names for so long that when he says my first name, it sounds...weird.



30. I dread when people mispronounce my name, it started from all of my teachers mispronouncing my name the first day of class. It always makes me wince a little.


31. When I had my first daughter I was actually secretly disappointed that she didn't look anything like me. Not that I think I am the best looking, but that a daughter should look something like her mother.


32. So I was secretly overjoyed when my second daughter came out looking more like me.


33. I truly believe that God made me prone to gain weight so that I wouldn't be such a glutton when it comes to food and be more conscious of what I eat


34. I still remember the sweet thing Daniel told me the first morning of being married even though I am sure he has long forgotten. "I dreamt there was an angel laying beside me and I woke up and there you were."


35. I want to have the kind of home where my girls want to bring their friends around to hang out and where their friends want to come.


36. I always play the devil's advocate in a conversation. I think it stems from this deep-seeded belief in defending the underdog.


37. I believe that some dreams really do tell us things.


38. Daniel and I share a passion for traveling and especially trying different foods together.


39. I love road trips I could drive anywhere as long as the air conditioning and heater are working in the car.


39. I love long hot showers. It's a time for me to really unwind and relax.


40. One of the biggest regrets I have is that I didn't learn Korean and Spanish fluently when I was a child. My parents both speak those languages but I never picked it up.


41. With that said, I have been given the tools to be a fluent speaker of those languages....especially sounding close to a native speaker.


42. I am one of the most forgetful people on the planet according to Daniel (and everyone else in my family).



43. I am the worst when it comes to turning in books on time to the library. I don't know why, but I am always at least a day late with my books. I had this HUGE fine at the BYU library once....but I am not going to say how much it was. It's too embarrassing.


44. My all-time favorite ice cream flavor is mint chocolate chip.


45. I really love exercising, especially dancing, even though it doesn't really show.


46. I truly believe that it's never too late to learn something new. And I think that learning should be a life-long pursuit.


47. Crisp, fall mornings are one of my favorite things. I love the cool air and the smell of freshly fallen leaves.


48. I am an incredibly stubborn person. I only realized it after I got married to another incredibly stubborn person. It's really amazing how much you learn about yourself when you live with someone else.


49. My favorite sport is tennis.


50. I wish that at this very moment, I was somewhere else traveling with my family.




* I WAS cavity free until a couple of weeks ago. I found out I had the first 3 cavities of my life!


Wow, this list is a lot shorter than I thought it was. oh well. Tell me what you think.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I've been waiting for this post for a while now, and I'm so glad you finally posted it! It's funny how many things we have in common...like smelling the insides of books, I love that, too. :) These were really interesting, I hope you think up some more so I can read those, too!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and #8...I totally do that, too. I think I've read our shampoo bottles five million times, seriously. And I remember the time you told us how you finally gave up being a vegetarian. I still laugh when I think about that story. :)

Myrna said...

I love your #34. What a sweet man and what a sweet thing to say! No wonder you have never forgotten it--and now that it is written down, even if you do forget someday, you can read about it! :o)

And, a question--What major would it have been if not linguistics? (I so agree, as I go about my life amassing degrees, that it always seems like as cool as what you are majoring in might be, you are missing out on other interests by focusing on this on1)

marquita chiquita said...

sorry for the late response...sheesh. Well, if I didn't do Linguistics I might have done Philosophy. If I was a little more confident I would have loved to have done art. Also, thought that I would have made a good English major ....I don't know...it's a tough one, at least you don't have to quit learning when you finish with the formal university setting. I look forward to learning much more as I grow older.

Shaillé said...

I loved reading this and learning more about you!! And congrats to Dan on the new job. Sorry again we missed you guys! Hope all is well!

Lee V said...

Thank yyou