Monday, July 30, 2007

Innocence

Each child with their unwavering curiosity and bold truthfulness can only be described as innocent. Just the other day, Maya shocked me yet again (I have recently been shocked by her ability to form complete sentences and a whole slew of "innocent" misdeeds). She likes to play at the kitchen sink and "wash" things. Well as she was doing that one evening, I sat down at our dining table to make a note of all the things that would be needed for our upcoming camping trip. I looked up lost in thought, and vaguely noticed Maya crawling off of the chair by the sink. I barely noticed her walking over to me with purpose, and I definitely didn't notice that her little hands were concealing something until it was too late. She looked at the notepad I was writing on, took a quick glance at me, and before I knew it, she poured a cupful of water onto the table. I was quick enough to save the paper at least. I was so shocked. This was definitely a calculated act towards me. But it was not out of malicious intent. Only out of her curiosity to see what would happen and how I would react. *sigh* ahhh...the innocence of childhood.

2 comments:

Matt Maddox said...

I hear you... I work at a daycare with the little ones and I have to remember this concept often, that they're so curious! It's not always easy... But at least they're so cute.

Bill said...

Marquita, you're kidding yourself. Face it, Maya was being vicious. She's already a little Dr. Evil in training. J/K
Scott